Monday, September 07, 2009

Quiet Moments With God -- Flowers for Crystal

Today my daughter and I took orange roses to the cemetery. Orange roses were my nineteen-year-old niece's favorite flower and orange was her favorite color. Today is the four year anniversary of her death. It feels like Crystal left us only yesterday. There is still a hole where she belongs. We miss her and long for her one of a kind smile and the great "Crystal Hugs" she used to give.

Yet, even with the pain of her absence my family and I are assured that the separation is only for a time. Crystal is in heaven. And God has promised that we will be reunited. I'm looking forward to a "Crystal Hug".

On my way to the cemetery I was thinking how different my perspective would be if I had no assurance of heaven. The tearing away of a loved one would be unendurable. I was overwhelmed with gratitude. God has made a way. He has given me hope and a future. I will see Crystal again and so many others who have already gone ahead.

John 3:16 says, "For God so loved the world that He gave His only Son that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life." Christ gave His life for me and because of His sacrifice I am assured of heaven--there is no guessing and wondering whether or not I get the gift of eternal life. It is mine, just because I believe.

Even the prisoner who hung beside Christ on our Lord's last day on earth was promised a place in heaven. He believed and the gift was his.

To know our farewells are temporary is the greatest comfort. But I think of those who have no hope. I remember. As a young woman I met each day with the terrifying thought that one day I would die. And then a friend introduced me to Christ. And I didn't have to be afraid any longer.

There are many who live in terror. Tell them about Jesus. God opens doors and provides opportunities. Don't be afraid. Love enough to take a risk. I'm grateful my dear friend, Kathy, took a chance and told me. Now I live with hope and when I take flowers to my loved one's graves I know it is only a place for them to be remembered--they aren't there--they wait, with The King, for a grand reunion.

Grace and peace to you from God.

Bonnie

No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis