Monday, June 27, 2011

Topic of the Day: Book Review


I received my first review for my upcoming book, Wings of Promise. As much as I'd like to say I don't care about reviews, I do.

Romantic Times gave me 4 1/2 stars for my last two books. They don't give five stars, so those are excellent reviews. Four stars is also very good, which is what Wings of Promise received. I should be thrilled. Instead I'm having a bit of difficulty getting excited over four stars.

I realize I'm being silly and self absorbed over something like a review. However, I'm pretty certain that some of you authors know just how I feel. Writers work hard, putting months of work into one single book. We place ourselves and our skills out there for everyone to see, and we want the best results, not second best.

The truth is reviews are very subjective. I need to remember that I don't write for reviewers. I write for my readers and for God. They're the only ones who matter. So, here it is -- Romantic Times review for Wings of Promise.

"The Alaskan Skies series takes you into the forbidding Alaskan bush and gives readers new perspective on what it means to be a caring neighbor. The loneliness and desperation of the bush pilot makes a great story. This is about more than overcoming obstacles in the Alaskan skies. It is about finding the peace within ourselves to go on."

I feel much better after talking this over with you. Four Stars! Awesome!

Give the book a try and enjoy the adventure.

Grace and peace to you from God.

Bonnie

6 comments:

  1. pshaw! not every book/author can be or get the best! I'm glad you changed your mind 'n heart and got pleased with 4 stars so I wouldn't have to call you a ninny or anything like that--you wonderful lady, you! I'm very proud of you and what you do and who you are--if you only got one dang star! If it glorifies our Lord and is a good read--well, alrighty then! <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous9:04 PM

    I know you were discouraged a little bit at first, but you are right in that reviews are so subjective. And if the reviewer is having a bad day, they can project that on their review. You know you did your best and God knows that too. Your readers will know that also. I am praying for great success for this book. May God continue to be w/ you and guide you.
    Julie from Idleyld Park.

    ReplyDelete
  3. YAY, Bonnie. Can't wait to read it.
    Love,
    Kristen

    ReplyDelete
  4. Patti, you crack me up. I love you dear lady.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Julie, thank you for your encouraging words and for your prayers.

    As to success. I think I've already succeeded. I did what God asked me to do, I did my best and the story will bring joy and enlightenment to many readers.

    I can't complain about that. I think I have the best job in the world.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Can't wait for you to read it, Kristen. You'll have to let me know what you think. And if you like it, make sure to tell everyone you know.

    : - >

    Hugs. Looking forward to August and OCW!

    ReplyDelete

ShareThis