Monday, November 28, 2011

Quiet Moments With God -- Roots of Love


This morning, feeling heavy-hearted, I picked up my devotional and my Bible. I prayed the Lord would meet with me. And of course there he was, waiting. He knows my thoughts before I speak a word of them. He knows every sorrow, every worry and all my joys. He's amazing Father God whose love never fails.

I read and prayed and then rested in His gentle, capable hands. And then I went to a section of scripture that has comforted me many times--Ephesians 3:16 - 19. "I pray that from His glorious, unlimited resources He will empower you with inner strength through His Spirit. Then Christ will make His home in your hearts as you trust in Him. Your roots will grow down into God's love and keep you strong. And may you have the power to understand, as all God's people should, how wide, how long, how high, and how deep is his love."

Years ago, while my children napped I sat on my back porch and read these same words. I remember stopping to ask God to help me understand more completely. I set my Bible in my lap and looked out at a valley below my home. It was broad and deep and long and I knew that God's love would fill it and more. He gave me a glimpse of how great His love is. It is beyond human comprehension but it is real and will never fail us. It is His love that gives us strength and empowers us to stand against the storms of life, to trust and to forgive and to love. But first we must plant roots in God's love. Only then will we have the ability to rely on Him and to know the reality of a greater love than our own.

Trust in His love, not man's wobbling version of it, for God's love will never fail us.

Grace and peace to you from God,

Bonnie

6 comments:

  1. Your post was really lovely, Bonnie ;) :) If it wasn't for God's love, I don't know where I'd be. I know that I"d be in a whole world of hurt without Him :) :) Have a good week. Love and hugs from the ocean shores of California, Heather :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heather, thank you. I can feel your gentle spirit across cyberspace.

    Without Him I doubt I'd still be on this earth. Praising Him for His grace.

    California shores sound fabulous. Enjoy.

    Grace and peace to you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Powerful reminder of what is real and sustaining. We had a discussion in church yesterday about trials and tribulations and why we go through them and how we can get through them. Being supported in His love is the only way. I honestly don't know how non-believers navigate life with Him. It boggles my mind.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kav, many years ago as an unbeliever my life was filled with remorse, fear and guilt. There were joyful moments, but very little ongoing joy. Looking back, I don't know how I kept going. I didn't tell anyone how I felt inside. I wore a mask, like many people do. I'm certain there are lots of people we come into contact with all the time who live in terror of what the future holds, only we don't know that because they don't tell us. We need to pray for them and to not be afraid to share the reason for our hope and joy.

    Praying many blessings come your way.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We all have heavy hearten days, I can't imagine how people face them without the love of Christ in their lives.
    Thank you for sharing. You and your family will remain in my payers.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for your prayers, TC. And I'm with you, I don't know how people face life without the Lord. I've been a Christian for so many years that the absence of His presence would be unbearable.

    Hugs to you.

    ReplyDelete

ShareThis