Tuesday, October 09, 2012

Quiet Moments With God -- Listen

Yesterday morning I sat down to write a devotional for Quiet Moments With God, and I was in a hurry. I'd slept later than usual and my to-do list was long. I had an idea about something that had been rattling around in my mind and heart, but as I started to write I heard this quiet voice say, "Slow Down. How can you have any quiet time with me when you're rushing ahead?"

How ironic. I was writing about moments with God while my heart was hurrying right past Him. I was writing before I'd even taken the time to seek a word from the Lord or listen to what He had to say.

My thoughts went to the story of Mary and Martha in Luke chapter 10 where Martha complains to the Lord about how unfair it is that Mary is sitting at His feet soaking in everything He has to say while she has been working. Jesus tells her, "My dear Martha, you are worried and upset over all these details! There is only one thing worth being concerned about. Mary has discovered it and it will not be taken away from her."

Once again, I was behaving like Martha. I love the Lord, but I miss so much because I have tasks to complete. Work is good, but the best of life can only be found in Him. I stopped writing, quieted my heart and listened. Again, I heard, "Be still. I am with you. Think upon me."

We cannot hear what God has to say if we're not listening. And so, I encourage you to seek the Lord above all other things. He will meet with you.

Grace and peace to you from God,

Bonnie

No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis