Thursday, March 10, 2016

Hanging On




While spending time with the Lord this morning I went to my devotional Jesus Calling. As I read I broke into tears. Here is what it said.

Save your best striving for seeking my face. I am constantly communicating with you. To find Me and hear My voice, you must seek Me above all else. Anything that you desire more than Me becomes an idol. When you are determined to get your own way, you blot Me out of your consciousness. Instead of single-mindedly pursuing some goal, talk with Me about it. Let the light of My presence shine on this pursuit so that you can see it from My perspective. If the goal fits into My plan for you, I will help you reach it. If it is contrary to My will for you, I will gradually change the desire of your heart. Seek Me first and foremost; then the rest of your life will fall into place, piece by piece. 


I'm sure the tears came because the Holy Spirit was speaking to my heart. I went on to read the suggested scriptures and want to share one of them.

Psalm 37:23 - 24 says this, "The Lord directs the steps of the godly. He delights in every detail of their lives. Though they stumble, they will never fall, for the Lord holds them by the hand. 

I'm overwhelmed by this kind of love. The God of the universe delights in every detail of my life. How can that be? I am forever stumbling and falling short. I let people down. I let myself down. And I let the Lord down. And yet scripture is clear - He loves me anyway. And He hangs on to me, saving me from myself.

So often I feel as if I'm striving for goals that I have set forth, not God. And when I recognize this I feel like a failure and a poor disciple. Do you ever feel like that?

We can be encouraged and confident because God will direct us, in spite of our own desires. He will change our heart and we can trust Him ... always, to show us the best way.

So, dear friends. Take heart. Seek God first. He will care for you.

Grace and peace to you from God,

Bonnie

3 comments:

  1. Bonnie, I have that same devotional and love it! It seems Jesus is speaking directly to me every day.

    Yes, I find myself setting my own goals as well and then getting discouraged when I don't meet them. But when I remember God's in control and His agenda might be different than mine, it is freeing to just let go and let Him work His grace in my life. I try not to be too hard on myself when I fail at being the person I believe God wants me to be. I know I'm righteous in His eyes because of Jesus' blood on the cross and, like you said, He loves me regardless of anything I do. I'm already forgiven for past, present and future sins. Sometimes that realization takes my breath away! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey there, Karleen. I just stumbled across this. So sorry I missed it.

      You've got it exactly right - Forgiven for past, present, and future.

      Praise Him!

      Delete
    2. Hey there, Karleen. I just stumbled across this. So sorry I missed it.

      You've got it exactly right - Forgiven for past, present, and future.

      Praise Him!

      Delete

ShareThis