Wednesday, November 11, 2020

Love One Another

 


For many months now, our lives have been thrown askew. We've tried to be responsible citizens, searching for truth in the elections and sadly, many of us drew a line between one another. Christian brothers and sisters took sides. We passionately shared our feelings, sometimes in a not so good way. 

So, how does that sit with our Heavenly Father?

In John 15 Jesus commands his followers to love one another as he has loved us. This incredible love will reveal to the world that we are His children and true followers. We are to love in such way that we would lay down our lives for one another, just as Christ did for us.

If what I am seeing is accurate, more than a few of us are far from loving as Christ did.  From the very beginning of my walk with the Lord, nearly a half century ago, I've understood this command and way of living. I embraced it. And most of the time I was able to love as Christ asked me to, though I will admit to a few stumbles along the way. Today, however, it's not easy for me to obey His command. Politics have become a stumbling block.

I am not saying that it is wrong to be righteously angry. That is not a sin. What is wrong is that anger can morph into hatred. It is not right to hate my brothers and sisters in the Lord. I know it. I am fighting against it. And I know that God will carry me through to the other side where I can love with ease once more. 

But it's a struggle. Why?

It feels (and we all know how much we can trust our feelings) as if my beloved country is balancing precariously on a precipice and that some of the people I know as family in Christ are helping to push it off the cliff to be lost forever. I cry out, "Please don't destroy the America I love, the America that has given its people so many gifts, the America that offers true freedom."

Though not blind to President Trumps weaknesses, I have loved and admired him. He has stood courageously in the gap for Americans, trying to hold back the wave of a "new" America, one I don't recognize and one I fear. I've heard from immigrants who escaped Marxist regimes who asked, if America is made "new" where can we now go to escape?

I can't answer that question and I don't believe it is even for me to know. I only share it here to help you see the desperation I feel in my own heart. Even as I write this God reminds me He hasn't forsaken His people. He knows the beginning and the end and His love never ceases.

He is not asking me to surrender. He wants His followers to fight for truth, but what good is that if we forget how to love. The Lord would not ask us to do something that is impossible. As I pray for the outcome of this election and the stability of our country I am also praying for God's will. I am first and foremost His child. He is before all things. 

I ask you to join me in prayer. And if you are struggling as I am, turn to the Lord for the strength to do what is right. He will give you what you ask for if you ask in His name, His will. May we keep our focus on eternity. We know that an eternity with The Father waits for us, but there are many who do not have that assurance. They are held captive by the enemy. So as we love one another may we reach out to those who have not yet become part of God's family, and may our love help show the way to an eternity where perfection waits. 

Grace and peace to you from God,

Bonnie

7 comments:

  1. Bonnie, I want to thank you for sharing straight from your heart,for putting into words what I (and I am sure many others) am/are feeling.Thank you for the reminder of what matters most ... LOVE ... that we continue to let Christ's love shine through our thoughts,words and actions .. not allowing the darkness (corruption) to dim or even snuff out our light. 💕

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. Thank you so much for your comment. It is a great encouragement.

      Delete
  2. Good words, Miss Bonnie. Being KIND to one another is important as God wanted us to Love each other. Love, your patrotism.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So good to hear from you, Barb. Thank you for your encouragement. I know you have a rough week ahead. I will be praying for you.

      Delete
  3. Amen. Thank you for continuing to bravely speak up on all of this. I am determined not to hold onto anger. It's useless to hold grudges, especially against people who have no idea they've walked all over you. But--I do pray that there will be real and lasting consequences for the evil that they've done; that God will hold them to account. I also pray that their eyes will be opened, that they will repent, and that there can eventually be forgiveness and restoration.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Krysti, it can be so difficult to forgive and love those who hurt us. I now God sees our hearts and he will make it possible.

      Delete

ShareThis