Sunday, May 11, 2008

Quite Moments With God--God's not done with me yet.

While in jail, Paul writes to the Philippian Church and says in chapter one, verses 4-6, I always pray with joy because of your partnership in the gospel from the first day until now, being confident of this, that He who began a good work in you will carry it on to completion until the day of Christ Jesus.

Heartening words to the Philippians and to us. There is hope.

Because of their faith, the Philippians endured trials and persecution just as Paul did. He wants to encourage his fellow believers. And remind them that what God began will be fulfilled.

Paul sees the Philippians as family who are working together in partnership with him for the gospel. We also are partners with Christ and with one another. Sometimes we get discouraged and, just as Paul did, we must encourage one another. We aren’t there yet, none of us, not until the day of Christ.

In the years since first accepting Christ and His good news there have been moments when I wanted to give up on being a follower. Not out of unbelief, but because the call seemed too hard and hurt too much. I wasn’t good enough, not strong enough, not dedicated enough. And I wondered what good am I to the Kingdom? I’m nothing.

Then God would remind me of Paul’s words to the Philippian church, that the One who had begun a good work would carry it on to completion. Praise Him!

I am a work in progress, imperfect, inept, and sometimes frightened. But what a privilege to be called . . . just as I am. God doesn’t expect perfection; He simply wants a willing heart. He chose me and I can trust Him to see me through.

In the early days of my walk I could see the big obvious sins and looked forward to the day when I’d have them under control. A strange thing happened on the way to sinlessness, my eyes were opened to how unlike Christ I am and always will be while residing on this planet. But He doesn't give up on me. Instead He stays close, encouraging, teaching, and sometimes carrying me while I fight my way through life.

I will praise Him in the process with the promise that one day I will stand before my Heavenly Father, perfect and brand new. A gift to big to truly comprehend.

Grace and peace to you from God.

Bonnie

No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis