Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Quiet Moments With God -- Enough For Today

While in the midst of physical suffering or sorrow, we sometimes feel that even one more day is more than we can manage. When we find ourselves in that place, what should we do? There are lots of solutions, but the one that is most helpful for me is to not look at tomorrow or the many more tomorrows that stretch out before me in a line of unendurable hours.

God offers a beautiful example of how we can do one day at a time. When the Israelites escaped pharaoh and wandered into the desert God provided just enough for the day. Manna was was given in the morning and quail in the evening. When the Israelites tried to horde or save for the next day their stash turned into maggots. Yuck!

God’s example says, trust me for today. I will see to tomorrow.

Sounds simple enough and for some it may be. Me—I’m a planner. And I worry myself into a stomachache with regularity. Today, I’m going to contemplate on God’s provision for the Israelites. His Word has the power to transform my thinking. So, today I’m not thinking about tomorrow. Today is all I need to trust for. God will meet with me today, and when I get to tomorrow, He’ll be there too.

Rest in him.

Grace and peace to you from God.

No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis