Friday, August 07, 2009

Tips For Triumphant Living -- Trust in God's Perfect Timing



I’m weary from back-to-back trips—one to the OCW Summer Conference and the other to Washington State to see my mother. It’s a physical challenge to combine travel jaunts. And a long list of tasks waiting for me make it even more difficult. But I needed to spend time with my mother.

As it turns out she needed me too. Not five minutes after arriving at her home we were on our way to the hospital. Mom was in terrible pain. The episode felt very similar to one she’d had when blood clots had run amuck. My stepfather and I spent the afternoon and evening in the ER.

Mom had been poked and prodded, undergone numerous tests, and had been given what seemed to be large doses of morphine, although it did little to ease her suffering. We waited.

I sat beside her while monitors blinked and chimed their unsettling annotations. I prayed this was only a bump along her path of life. Yet I knew it could be the end. Mom’s eighty-four years old, and heaven may not be far off.

I was grateful to be there with her. Our hands clasped, we prayed together, then we chatted as her pain allowed. It felt good to be a comfort to her. I remembered all the times she’d sat with me—through every kind of flu and virus, through heartache and change. Now it was my time to be there for her. She told me over and over how thankful she was for my presence.

I thank God. He made sure I was with her. Although the timing for my trip seemed all wrong He knew it was perfect. And the gentle loving experience that I had with my mother in that sterile room was a gift to me and to her.

I’m glad to say, Mom’s home now. She’s feeling much better. The doctor’s don’t know what’s wrong but they’re working to figure it out. And I’m home, exhausted and wishing I could have stayed longer, but grateful for the time I had there.

For years, the miles between my mother and I have been a sorrow to me. And I’ve often wished I’d never moved away from my Washington home. My mother never complained and the years here have been rich and filled with blessings. I figure God knows best and so I thank Him for my wonderful life here in the Oregon forest. However, I’m going to visit home more often and trust that God’s timing is always perfect.

No matter where we are or what we’re doing He is with us. He knows all things. So, when we feel the prodding of the Holy Spirit we best listen. He may have something important for us to do that we have no knowledge of.

Grace and peace to you from God.

Bonnie

6 comments:

  1. Dear Bonnie,
    Thank you for your post. I encourage you to follow through with your desire to spend as much time as possible with your dear mother. My mother went Home almost two years ago and I miss her so terribly. I'd give anything to be able to hold her hand and listen to her voice. But that blessing is reserved for heaven and I thank God for the blessed assurance that believers will be reunited in His presence.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Julie,

    Thank you for writing. I intend to make a lot of trips north and enjoy my mother--she's a special woman.

    I thank God that I'll never have to say a forever farewell but just a "see you later" when one of us goes on to heaven. Thanks to Jesus.

    Blessings,

    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Bonnie,

    She has a kind face. I'll bet you've had a lot of good times together over the years. Those happy memories will see you through whichever of you goes on to heaven first.

    Maybe we'll all get to go together very soon. It sure seems like we're approaching the end.

    God bless you,
    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Julie.

    We have had great times. She's a good mom. It would be wonderful if we all got to go together. Praying for such a blessing.

    In Christ,

    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bonnie,

    So sorry about your mom. Like Julie, I know how precious your time is with her and how thankful you will be for the time you spend with her now.

    I'm praying for her and for you. Please let me know if there's anything I can do for you when you're up this way.

    Blessings,
    Judy

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you, Judy. You're such a sweetheart.

    She'll be having more tests this coming Monday so we're hoping for some answers soon.

    Hugs,

    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete

ShareThis