Sunday, August 09, 2009

Quiet Moments With God -- Pray Big Prayers

I recently watched a movie called Faith for Potatoes. It’s based on a true story of a man, Angus Buchan, who lives in South Africa. As a young man his life was filled with struggles and hardship and his heart was full of anger and fear. One day he joined his wife in church and he heard the Word of God and believed in Jesus as Savior. Angus was transformed.

His Christian walk began like many of ours. Deep joy and hope bloomed inside even though his life remained painfully difficult. Through struggles, he learned to trust God. One night during a storm Angus’s neighbor was hit by lightening and died, but God raised up the person, gave him his life back and Angus saw that his God could do anything.

Angus became a voice for Christ. And when it looked like he would lose his farm, he prayed a "ridiculous" prayer and then he waited . . . believing.

I don’t want to give away the ending of the story, but I was struck by how puny my prayers are. God is powerful. He can do all things. And yet I live as if He is frail and faint of heart. In spite of my weak faith God still listens to my prayers and answers them. Sometimes He says yes, other times He tells me I must wait, and there are circumstances that require a no. But there is peace in relying on God's greater wisdom.

I wonder how different my life would be, how different I would be if I truly grasped how BIG God is. What might I accomplish?

I say it's time to begin praying BIG PRAYERS and trusting God to overcome impossible odds. Shall we believe together for the impossible? I say, a great big YES!

Grace and peace to you from God.

Bonnie

No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis