Sunday, October 18, 2009

Quiet Moments With God -- I Believe In Miracles

Friday my husband, Greg, turned sixty. We set off for Central Oregon to celebrate his birthday with our son, Paul. We had a great time--good conversation, good food and lots of laughs. Greg and Paul even managed to get in some golf.

As is often the case I spent time reflecting on life. And I realized that Greg and I met forty-one years ago. We were so young--just kids. It doesn't seem possible that through all the years, with their valleys and mountain tops, that we're still together. It hasn't been a bed of roses--unless of course you remember that there are a lot of thorns among the shrubbery. :-)

Greg and I met during the Vietnam War. He was in the navy and only a few months after our first meeting he set off for a ten and half month West-Pac cruise. We hadn't known one another long, but we were in love and already engaged to be married. While Greg was over seas I planned our wedding.

A month after he returned we were wed. It was a nice wedding with the usual stuff--a white gown and a tux, the well rehearsed vows, a sacred church filled with friends and family. However, something was missing, or I should say someone. Sadly, neither Greg nor I knew who it was. We'd left out the most important guest--Jesus Christ. We didn't know Him and so we began our journey together as husband and wife without Him.

It wasn't surprising that our first four years together were tumultuous and unhappy. The love we felt was buried by hurt, anger and bitterness . . . and in our fourth year we separated. There was so much sorrow between us that it would have been impossible to even hope for reconciliation.

God had other plans.

In a miraculous way, he drew us both to Himself and restored our love for one another. We became new, and the ugliness that resided in our hearts was replaced with love, mercy and forgiveness. We've been together ever since.

A lot of miracles happened back then, none of which we deserved. What is especially astounding to me is that we did nothing to make any of it happen. It was simply God in us, working out His power and grace. God stripped away the uglies and we loved each other.

Here we are after all these years, celebrating a sixtieth birthday. We still love each other, admire one another and pray we have a lot more years to spend together.

It's a miracle.


Grace and peace to you from God,

Bonnie

8 comments:

  1. Thank you. What a lovely, inspiring story. And happy birthday Greg.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Sheila. Thanks for the comment. I'll make sure to pass your message along to my husband. :-)

    Blessings,

    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sarah D.6:31 PM

    How romantic! I'm sure there were many ups and downs along your way to true happiness however. Sounds like a novel! :-) I'm glad you two worked it out and found God together!

    Sincerely,
    Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh yes, Sarah, we've had many ups and downs--we're far from the perfect couple. But I'm so thankful for my husband. He's a good man who loves me just as I am.

    And I'd love to write the novel. In fact, I've got the story in my head, just have to find time and a publisher that wants it. :-)

    Blessings,

    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  5. No wonder your stories have so many similar themes -- enduring love, redemption and God's sovereignty. Thanks for sharing your heart, and for writing in my favourite genre, historical fiction. I bestow honorary Aussie citizenship upon you :-)

    Kathy (in Queensland, Australia)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, Kathy -- I'm honored!

    I can't help but write what's in my heart--God is good.

    Grace and peace to you,

    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous1:58 AM

    ahhh, we live in a puddle of Grace--sooooo wonderful! I'm so glad you found HIM, and him--and kept both.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dear Anonymous--I love that -- a puddle of grace. Praise God for His grace.

    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete

ShareThis