Monday, October 26, 2009

Quiet Moments With God -- Wait for the Command

Many years ago, a Christian friend told me, "Bonnie, there are a lot of needs, but that doesn't mean you're supposed to fulfill them all." His wise words have always stuck with me. Yet I still struggle. I often say yes when I should say no.

This morning while reading from "My Utmost For His Highest" Oswald Chambers words struck a strong chord in me. He said, "The great controlling factor is not the needs of people, but the command of Jesus."

I thought about that for several minutes and realized that like so many others when I see a need I step in to help. What if the task isn't mine to do? Doing the work intended for someone else only makes me feel overwhelmed. Been there, done that.

I'm not saying if we walk by a person in need that we're supposed to just keep walking and ignore their plight. The story of the good Samaritan clearly tells us what we need to do. What I'm talking about are the many committees or organizations that call out for helpers or for me it may be the one more marketing idea that will boost sales of my latest book or I may hear from a budding author who needs just a little guidance . . . My list goes on.

There are a lot of needs in this world, but before we decide we're supposed to fill the ones we happen upon we need to stop and think about whether God asked us to step in. Perhaps it is meant for someone else. When we take on a responsibility intended for another we're robbing that person of a blessing.

There are consequences for doing too much. It saps our strength, steals our health and usually means that what we are doing isn't being done very well.

Our solution is to listen to and obey God. If we can learn to walk in His will, rather than our own, life will be more productive and satisfying.

Grace and peace to you from God.

Bonnie

6 comments:

  1. Sometimes we rob everyone of blessing when we try to take on too much. Those we love are underloved, those we serve underserved, and those who could have served instead miss their chance to work with God. Wise post. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well said, Sheila.

    Blessings,

    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Miriam Cheney8:07 PM

    Thanks, Bonnie. A good reminder. My husband always says it's not about what is good (to do), it's what is best.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Miriam. He is so right. Good is not always what's best and we need to be doing the best. :-)

    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for your words of wisdom, Bonnie. I'm going through a bit of an upheaval in my life right now, so I thank you for the reminder to listen to and obey God.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Beth.

    It's during the difficult days that we learn to listen. And as time goes one we become better listeners.

    I'll be praying that the upheaval is soon quieted and that peace prevails.

    Blessings to you,

    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete

ShareThis