Friday, October 09, 2009

Quiet Moments With God -- But a Breath

In Psalm 39:4-5 David says, "Lord, remind me how brief my time on earth will be. Remind me that my days are numbered--how fleeting my life is. You have made my life no longer than the width of my hand. My entire lifetime is just a moment to you; at best, each of us is but a breath."

As I've grown older and watched with amazement how quickly time passes, I better understand the truth of David's words. And I realize more and more how much time I spend on wasteful thoughts and projects.

While I read these verses I was struck at the wonder that surrounds me and how little time I take to enjoy all God has given me. A flood of gratitude followed. God has blessed me with abundance, and I realize that if life is just a breath I'd best make good use of my time. I need to stop and look, to take pleasure in God's gifts. I need to take time to love others. I need to remember to work well.

If life is a breath, we don't have time for squabbling. There's no time to cling to bitterness, no time for malicious thinking. How much better to meditate upon Christ and His love and sacrifice. And how much more satisfying life is when we consider the beauty of creation and the gift of love from our family and friends and our Father above. I long for time to think about the wonder of life and of the life to come.

I feel compelled to encourage you on toward good works and Godly living. While we still have time, remember what really matters and embrace the goodness and beauty God has given.

Grace and peace to you from God.

Bonnie

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous3:05 PM

    Hi Bonnie,

    Thank you for the good reminder. I struggle with using my time wisely. It's too easy for me to say "I'm tired. I'm just going to sit here and play fun games on the computer and relax. " Time gets away away and I've wasted it. I needed this message today. Thanks.

    Jerry

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jerry. Thanks so much for writing and for your transparency.

    We all "waste" time--it's part of the human condition. But we're not defeated--God enables and empowers us on toward good works.

    Blessings,

    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete

ShareThis