Friday, February 26, 2010

Tips For Triumphant Living -- Run to Win

For the past two weeks I've been sleep deprived. I'm an Olympics addict--winter and summer. I love the competition and the athletes are an inspiration. Since I grew up in a family of Olympic fans, I've been this way most of my life.

I'm impressed by the talent, dedication and courage of the athletes. It takes a rare person to stick to a lifetime commitment that may or may not pay off in the end. The athletes have my absolute respect.

1 Corinthians 9:24-27 speaks to this. It says, "Do you not know that in a race all the runners run, but only one gets the prize? Run in such a way as to get the prize. Everyone who competes in the games goes into strict training. They do it to get a crown that will not last; but we do it to get a crown that will last forever. Therefore I do not run like a man running aimlesslly; I do not fight like a man beating the air. No. I beat my body and make it my slave so that after I have preached to others, I myself will not be disqualified for the prize."

I can never be an Olympic athlete, but I can be a dedicated servant of God. To do that I must train hard. Unlike the medals awarded at the Olympics, which do not last, the crown I fight for will last forever.

Paul makes it clear that this is no small task. We are to run in such a way as to win. Just like an Olympic athlete it requires discipline and training. Sacrifice is required. God has laid out a plan for us--Prayer, Bible study and worship are our tools. Too many hours in front of the televicion, computer or even in a book (which I love) can rob us of priceless time with our Lord.

God has given us so much for our enjoyment and it is his desire that we take part in this wonderful world he's created. It is a gift. Spend time loving others, enjoy a good book or a movie, or a morning sunrise. But don't neglect time to train for the eternal race where glory waits for us. Go for the gold.


Grace and peacet to you from God.

Bonnie

No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis