Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Tips For Triumphant Living -- Seize Opportunities

This week while reading in the book of Esther I was struck by something I hadn't noticed before. When reading the story of this remarkable woman I've been impressed by her courage, her faith, and her obedience, admirable traits we should all strive to live out. However on this read through I noticed another quality in Esther--she seized opportunities.

When King Xerxes decreed that all Jews be killed Mordecai said to Esther, the queen but also a Jew, "Who knows if perhaps you were made queen for just such a time as this?" Esther's response? "If I must die, I must die."

Esther could have saved herself by keeping her lineage a secret. Instead she took hold of an opportunity to save her people. But she didn't jump into a plan carelessly. First she called others to join her in prayer and fasting, then trusting God she stepped forward, hoping to save her people. Knowing it might cost her life, she told the king the truth and requested he change his decree. The result--a nation was saved.

The opportunities presented to us most likely do not require that we put our lives on the line, but our decisions and actions have the power to change lives. Like Esther, we need to be aware of God's open doors. We need to be people who pray and when we're presented with a chance to make a change we need to seize it. God will provide opportunities.

Years ago when I first decided to write I had no idea that my hobby would become a career and a ministry. God had a plan and he flung open the doors. I walked through them. I'm not especially brave, but I could see that the opportunities presented to me were clearly God's doing. I didn't dare ignore him.

Don't turn your back on the open doors in your life. There are blessings and surprises on the other side. Step through and discover your destiny.

Grace and peace to you from God.

Bonnie

2 comments:

  1. Oh, I love your wisdom. You are a breath of heaven, Bonnie Leon! I hope our paths cross again soon.
    :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my gosh, Miriam. You've made me cry. You couldn't have said anything nicer to me. You made my day. :-)

    God's grace to you,

    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete

ShareThis