Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Quiet Moments With God -- Kick Up Your Heels

I live in a rural area in Southern Oregon. The landscape is a combination of forests and grazing lands. When I travel between home and town I always see horses, cattle and sheep on the rolling hillsides.

A few days ago while returning home from town I noticed a frolicking full grown black angus. She was running, leaping and jumping while kicking up her heels. This is unusual behavior for a cow. By the time they're grown up they spend their time grazing or standing looking stupified while they chew their cud. Calves run and leap, not cows.

Watching this bovine enjoy herself made me think about grown ups in general. Some of us adults have forgotten what it's like to kick up our heels and have full out fun. That's for the youngsters we say. We're missing out. Just think back to your youth for a moment and remember how much fun it can be.

I'm not able to kick up my heels any more, but that doesn't mean my heart can't do some leaping and jumping for joy. Evidently God thinks joyful living matters because there are lots of scriptures that talk about it.

Philippians 4:4 says, Rejoice in the Lord always. Again I will say, rejoice! And Psalm 4:7 says, You have put gladness in my heart. And there's Psalm 16:9. Therefore my heart is glad, and my glory rejoices; My flesh also will rest in hope. And John 15:11, These things I have spoken to you, that My joy may remain in you and that your joy may be full. And lets not forget Psalm 149:3 Let them praise His name with the dance; Let them sing praises to Him with the timbrel and harp.

These are just a few. Remember the joy of the Lord. Share some of that joy with people in your life. Lift others up--laugh, sing, and yes even dance.

Sharing joy makes it grow. And then it comes back to you.

Grace and peace to you from God.

Bonnie

No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis