Monday, March 14, 2011

Quiet Moments With God: Tsunamis


Like most of you, I've watched the terrifying images of the earthquake and tsunami in Japan. My heart breaks for the people who have lost loved ones and who are now suffering. The numbers of dead are staggering.

My grandmother, who lived in Unalaska as a young woman, witnessed a tsunami that swept into the shores on the Aleutian Chain of Alaska. Her encounter was what inspired my first book, The Journey of Eleven Moons. The character of Anna lost everyone she loved, except for her sister Iya. She blamed God.

It's hard to understand the why of tragedies on the scale of the one in Japan. Sadly, since Adam and Eve made a very bad choice all those years ago in the garden tragedies have been part of the human experience.

Most tragedies don't make the headlines. When a doctor's diagnosis, the death of a loved one, the loss of our home, or the impact of (in my case) an oncoming truck hit us, we feel as if we've been swept away by a tsunami--caught up in the turbulence and debris of tragedy. Sometimes our lives are changed forever. We long for what was and wonder if we'll ever find our way back to what we've known.

When our "normal" has been swept away, how do we make sense of it all? Where is our hope? Deuteronomy 31:6 says this. "Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid or terrified because of them, for the Lord your God goes with you; he will never leave you nor forsake you."

When you've been swept away by an agonizing torrent remember, God is with you. You are never alone. "I will turn the darkness into light", he says in (Isaiah 42:16) and "For I am the Lord, your God, who takes hold of your right hand and says to you, Do not fear." (Isaiah 41:13).

Pray for the people of Japan. Pray for those in the Middle East. Pray for one another. And thank the Lord who loves us and who stands with us in the midst of the storm.

Do not doubt -- God always keeps His promises.

Grace and peace to you from God.

Bonnie

4 comments:

  1. I remember your first book, The Journey of Eleven Moons. I love that whole series. The first scene of the Tsunami is still very vivid in my mind. You did a good job portraying it.
    Sincerely,
    Melody Roberts

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Anne.

    The Journey of Eleven Moons was a long time ago. That was the very first book I ever wrote. I was shocked when a publishing house picked published it.

    I love the story. I've come a long way as a writer since then and would very much like to release it again, only after I have a chance to edit it. : -)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous7:24 AM

    I remember your first series and since then, I have all your books and eagerly look forward to many more to come. I am going thru a "tsunami" in my life right now and it is devastating. I cling to the Lord's promises that He will walk with me. Thank you for your blogs, they have helped me so much, Love in Christ, May

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Anonymous. I'm so sorry to hear of your troubles. Sometimes life is just plain hard and it seems to make no sense. But God sees the beginning and the end--He has a plan. Keep on clinging. He will see you through.

    I will pray for you. I don't need to know your name--God knows.

    Grace and peace to you.

    ReplyDelete

ShareThis