Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Books & Writing: Favorite Books



If you're reading this blog, you are likely a reader of a writer. If you're a writer, then you're both. I don't know a writer who doesn't also love to read.

Today I want to talk books. What books do we love and why do we love them. I'm presently reading a couple of books, The Colonel's Lady by Laura Franz and Sweeter Than Birdsong by Rosslyn Elliott. So far, both are impressive.

I have a terrible habit of reading two or three and sometimes four books at a time, not to mention the books I read for researching my writing projects. And presently I'm writing two books simultaneously. We'll see how that works out.

Back to my topic. I love books.

I don't love them all for the same reasons. I have a variety of favorites.

A recent addition to my favorite's list is Rooms by Rupart James. It's not my typical read because it's contemporary. My favorite books are generally historical. But this book was a mystery and had me slightly spooked and kept me guessing and wondering who "the bad guy" really was. Plus snippets of wisdom were sprinkled throughout the pages.

Sometimes loving a book is all about what is being said. When I read the memoir, An Unquiet Mind by Kay Jamison she opened my eyes and gave me a glimpse into the mind of a person living with bi-polar disorder. My sister was bi-polar. Sadly, I read the book after her death. I wish I could apologize to her, because I never got it while she was alive.

I can love a book that doesn't have the greatest writing, but has something wonderful to say. And then there are those books that feel as if you're reading poetry. The writing is exquisite and I relish each word. One of those is Fairer Than Morning by Rosslyn Elliott.

And of course characters are central to all books. Francine River's story, The Last Sin Eater left me with characters I will never forget.

So . . . books that stay with me are all about beautiful writing, characters who seem real, messages that have the power to change, real life history, and of course great stories. I have a long list of favorites. Do you? Can you choose one? Why is it your favorite?

For me -- Hawaii has always risen above the others. I love the history and the story. But there's also The Thornbirds, The Shape of Mercy, The Dawn of a Dream and . . . well okay I can't pick just one. Can you?

Grace and peace to you from God,

Bonnie

No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis