Monday, May 06, 2013

Quiet Moments With God -- When Storms Come

Yesterday, was bright and beautiful with the temperature hovering right about 80°. It couldn't be more perfect.

After church, my daughter and I had lunch together at a local restaurant and then went shopping. We had a good time. All looked clear, including the weather.

After I got home, I noticed the sky had some ominous looking clouds. But I didn't think much about it. Oregon spring weather often includes thunderstorms--no big deal.

About an hour later thunder and lightening started, along with some rain and winds. It was just the kind of storm I love. And then without warning it turned brutal, very unlike Oregon spring storms. Winds blasted us. Rain came in a deluge, Lightening and thunder pounded our house simultaneously.

My  husband and I ran from window to window, closing them to keep the rain outside. One bathroom floor was soaked. The wind tore off our chimney top and a gutter, rearranged our patio furniture and even moved my husband's large BBQ about fifteen feet to the center of our patio. Trees were downed all over the area and a power pole came down on our road. 

Lights out.

This was no normal storm, not for Douglas County Oregon. We know of no injuries, but there was property damage throughout our little town. The storm came swiftly and without warning. 

The kind of storm that hit us yesterday was fun and exciting. We were prepared, tucked snugly inside our home, unafraid. But I couldn't help but think how I would have felt if I'd been unprotected, outdoors camping in a tent or if my husband had been out on his bike. I wouldn't have been excited at all . . . but very likely terrified.

We don't always know when storms are going to hit, particularly the type of storms that are about life. Sometimes they can get personal, slamming us to the ground. We feel vulnerable and unprepared. So, how do we prepare for that kind of tempest. And then stand again when it passes.

Our home was built sturdily and can stand up to harsh weather. But when I consider my spiritual home and its readiness I'm aware of weaknesses.If I want to grow stronger there are some questions I can ask myself. How is my relationship with The Father? Do I know Him well? Do I trust Him? How can I walk more closely with Him? Is all well with my Lord?

There will be more spring storms here in Oregon. And I will experience more spiritual storms. In the mean time, I need to prepare--be ready. Where to begin. Ah ha! He's given me a handbook. It's called the Bible. In it are all the instructions I need for life and for building a strong spiritual home. 

Make sure to open the pages of the book your Heavenly Father wrote just for you and meet with Him there. 

Do you have a favorite scripture verse? I'd love to hear it.

Grace and peace to you from God.

Bonnie

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous8:46 PM

    Phil. 4:13--"I can do all things thru Him who strengthens me." Even storms 'n kidney stones!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that verse, Patti!

    And praying for your kidney stones. He has given you strength. I've heard it and seen it in your messages.

    Hugs to you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's really, really hard to pick a favorite scripture. But there is one that always comes to mind when I think of favorites. Isaiah 40:26-31.

    I hope you'll look it up and read it. It encourages me so much!

    ReplyDelete

ShareThis