Friday, June 21, 2013

The Journey: A Spiritual Polyp?





While reading from one of my favorite devotionals (Streams in the Desert) this morning, I was told that I just might be a spiritual polyp. Ick! 

But there is more.

There are creatures, adult coral  invertebrates, known as polyps. These polyps work under water constructing coral reefs. All the while, they have no idea that they are helping create something spectacular. 

Sometimes God calls Christians to be spiritual polyps--doing the work they are called to without recognition from others, without knowing what the results of their work will be and without knowing what rewards await them in heaven.

I think the reason this struck a chord in me so strongly this morning is because the coming week offers possibilities of things I've worked hard for and hoped for, but with no promises of worldly success, which describes much of my writing career. And I fear that I may want it too much, when what I need to desire most is God's will. And to be content to be a spiritual polyp if that is His will.

It is okay to hope and dream. To find joy in possibilities, but no matter where God has called us to serve we should serve Him well and with devotion and joy.

The devotional included this:

Just where you stand in the conflict,
There is your place.
Just where you think you are useless,
Hide not your face.
God placed you there for a purpose,
What'er it be;
Think He has chosen you for it;
Work loyally.
Put on your armor! Be faithful
At toil and rest!
What're it be, never doubting
God's way is best.
Out in the fight or on lookout,
Stand firm and true;
This is the work that your Master
Gives you to do.


Resting in God today . . . as His servant.

Grace and peace to you from God,

Bonnie

2 comments:

  1. Jerry Buss5:10 PM

    I read this quote today by Helen Keller.

    I am only one, but still I am one.
    I cannot do everything, but still I can do something;
    I will not refuse to do the something I can do.

    Some plant, some water, some reap, but God gives the increase.

    I'm sure Bonnie that God will bless whatever He has given you to do. He already has. I've been blessed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love that quote, Jerry. Thank you for sharing it.

    And I have confidence God will lead me down the path of His choosing. I only need to follow with a willing heart.

    Bless you.

    ReplyDelete

ShareThis