Tuesday, April 29, 2014

Quiet Moments With God - Use a Lamp



Have you ever found yourself in absolute darkness, but had to keep moving anyway? Many years ago, when my children were young, a man from our church had promised to pick up the kids at the top of our driveway and take them to an evening Bible study.

I'd forgotten that night until this morning while I was reading a familiar passage from Psalm 119. Verse 105 says, "Your word is a lamp to guide my feet and a light for my path."

The kids ride was supposed to arrive around 6:00 AM, but it was winter and the sun had set long before we started up the driveway. We lived in the forest so if not for the yard light half way up the drive it would have been deeply dark. However when we passed the light its illumination decreased. With each step beyond the light, the world got darker and darker, until it was so pitch black that I couldn't see my hand in front of my face. I kept a tight hold on the kids' hands and we inched forward, feeling our way with our feet.

The lack of light was disconcerting, and I realized I'd been foolish not to bring a lantern or a flashlight. It's that way in life too. It's always wise to carry the light of God's Word with us wherever we go. Without it finding our way or seeing the truth is so much harder than it needs to be . . . sometimes as difficult as it was to see my hand on that pitch dark night years ago.

God's Word is a gift. He offers it to help us find our way. We don't have to venture out without His light, but whether we do or not is our choice. I wonder why we sometimes prefer to feel our way through a dark world when the light of the Lord can guide our every step.


Grace and peace to you from God.

Bonnie


No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis