Wednesday, October 04, 2006

AMAZING COUNTRY

I'd hoped to write sooner, but the motels/hotels are set up for wireless computers. I'm definitely behind the times and in need of an upgrade; I need a place to plug in.

We're making our way across Kansas and I'm writing like mad. There's so much I need to get from my brain to the computer--story ideas, notes on the terrain, interesting locations, and of course I've got to update my blog.

I'm only four days out and already I'm in awe. Creation is amazing! When I left home I thought I knew pretty much what I'd find. Wrong! So Wrong! There is so much uniqueness and beauty I knew nothing about. And it's clear to me none of it happened by evolution or whatever reason "reasonable" people want to use. This country was hand made by God.

I wish I could take all of you along so you could see first hand what I've seen. There are no words that can appropriately describe it, but I'll do my best.

In Eastern Oregon, my husband and I wandered off the highway to have a look at the Painted Hills. It's hard to believe I've lived in Oregon a quarter of a century and have never heard of the Painted Hills. They are impressive. In the midst of the desert at the John Day Fossil Beds are hills that look as if a master artist has painted them. There were broad vistas and striped hills of white, red, and green. It was a place of serenity--God's handiwork.

Idaho offered interesting landscapes and historical locations. We spent a few hours at Three Island Crossing State Park, a place where pioneers once made their way down steep bluffs to the Snake River and then crossed the river by Ferry. They were truly brave.

Utah had breathtaking vistas, and the fall colors were at their zenith. More than once I found myself close to tears as I thought about the day God created the earth and how he knew I'd be making this trip and would see what He'd created. Wow!

Nothing could prepare me for the San Rafael Swell and San Rafael Valley in eastern Utah. The panoramas took my breath away. I couldn't contain my joy. I kept exclaiming, "Oh, my gosh! Look at that! Look at that!" My camera came out and I filled an entire card. A man we met said the valleys and canyons are called "The Baby Grand Canyon." Baby my foot! It was an amazing place--deep canyons, rocks of all shapes and sizes and colors, and rock formations that looked like castles, giant stove pipes, swirling rivers, and one reminded me of the Parthenon and . . . well there isn't enough room to describe them all. What an amazing God we have.

When we made our way down out of these mountains I must admit to being a little frightened. The highway was steep and winding and the canyons deep.

Yesterday, we had a picnic in the Western Rocky Mountains and today we continued our climb over the mountains. At 12,000 feet we got out and played in the snow. Not for long, however. The air is thin at 12,000 feet. After our frolic we made our way down to the prairies that lie to the east, and again, it was more than I expected--lovely, rolling grasslands, and huge ranches and farms.

All in all it's been great so far. We've met interesting people, seen extraordinary places and story ideas are flowing. I've had a few bad moments--I'm sleep deprived, and my body is complaining, but I'm excited about what is to come. There is still so much country to see and people to meet.

Thanks to all of you who are praying for my husband and me. I hope to be back on line soon with more of our adventure.

God bless,

Bonnie

2 comments:

  1. Bonnie,
    Thank you for taking us along with you on a glorious word trip. It's amazing seeing the sites through your eyes and your blog.

    Cheering you on mile by mile!
    Kelli

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous10:53 PM

    Sigh! I wish I was with you! You'll have to be sure to share your pictures. Maybe I'll be able to start painting again. Thank you for sharing your adventure.

    Praying for you!

    Myrn

    ReplyDelete

ShareThis