Thursday, October 05, 2006

Wonder and Trepidation

We covered a lot of miles yesterday, travelig across the state of Kansas. I fell in love with the countryside. The rolling hills and open prairies surprised me. It was all so beautiful! I think the Kansas scenes from the movie the Wizard of Oz corrupted my mind, but thankfully it has been refreshed.

As we made our way across the state I felt as if I may have been born in the wrong part of the country. Kansas felt like home. I pictured myself growing up on a farm or ranch where I could ride my horse through the deep grasses and wild flowers. I was taken by surprise because, to be honest many Oregonians including me, believe Oregon is the only place to live. And it is a beautiful state. But I am humbled--there is no "only" place. All of God's creation is special and worth admiration.

We made stops to investigate small towns and even lost our way a couple of times when our satellite navigation went on the blink. I was told by one gal that she thought the cause was approaching storms. Yikes!

In spite of our wandering I found a perfect hamlet for a turning point in my story. I even managed to find two great gals, Carolyn a nurse and Amy who registers patients at the Salina Regional Health Center, who were willing to answer lots of questions for me. Now I know just how the scene I have planned will play out.

By the way,I really like Salina. It feels very homey.

We moved on toward Missouri and the winds picked up and thunderheads formed while the clouds darkened. I started to worry about severe weather. The open prairie didn't seem like an ideal place to be under the circumstances, and I tried to come up with ways we could duck for cover in case of thunderstorms that might include heavy rains, hail, lightening and tornados.

We managed to reach Branson without any severe weather, but there were some impressive thunderheads to the east. As usual, I took photos.

Branson's a great town, a mix of country and city. The surrounding countryside offers steep hills and forests of oak and pine. The most unusual thing here is that the city and country is intertwined. It's quite remarkable.

We've had help finding out way around. We're spending our time here at a World Mark Resort where some of the staff, Mairini, Becky, and Chuck have answered all our questions and told us about some of the great places to visit. I also met a gal, Joanna and her sidekick Roger, at the Christian Gift Outlet. They felt like instant friends. Joanna told me about a scenic route I ought to take just out of town so I went. What a great drive; it showed off the beauty of the area.

I love Branson. It feels small but offers a lot and the people are friendly plus it's a wholesome place to have fun. There are over 100 shows to see, but we made only one, the Jim Stafford Show. It was great fun. He is a funny man and a terrific musician.

The characters in my story will love it here. I'm planning some unique experiences for them in this special place.

Tomorrow, Greg and I will be heading for Lexington, Kentucky. We don't know what to expect along the way, but know God has the journey planned out for us. I'm sure it will enrich our lives and give me lots more story ideas.

I'll be writing again soon to update you on our finds.

God bless.

Bonnie

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous9:43 AM

    Oh, Bonnie, this is just as I have prayed for you, but I sense that there just aren't words to fully describe what you are experiencing. What a blessing that you can blog so we all feel connected to your journey. I continue to lift you in prayer and especially pray that you are able to rest well at night. I love you!
    Myrn

    ReplyDelete

ShareThis