Sunday, March 02, 2008

Quiet Moments With God -- When God Calls

One morning while reading from Oswald Chambers book, My Utmost for His Highest, I was struck by God’s perfect timing. He made sure I was reading exactly what I needed to hear at the precise moment I needed to hear it.

I’ve been struggling about the direction my life ought to take. What is it I ought to be doing? Should I stick with what I know and do well? Should I do what is expected? Or stay with what has proven successful?

Sometimes being reasonable makes absolute sense, but occasionally God asks us to do the unreasonable thing. How do we know the difference? We wait patiently, listen to Him and allow Him to guide us. And sometimes we need to shut out other voices, especially our own practical one.

Oswald said, "The call of God is not a reflection of my nature; my personal desires and temperament are no consideration. As long as I dwell on my own qualities and traits and think about what I am suited for, I will never hear the call of God."

Weighty words.

I remember when I felt called to write. There was nothing about my education, my brain power or my nature that said “Yes, this is it! This is what you ought to do.” To the contrary. I had very little college, and although I’d always loved to read, I’d written little. But how could I ignore the sudden powerful desire to write, to put my thoughts and my heart down on paper? I was literally dragged toward the calling.

My inner voice told me I couldn’t do it. “Who do I think I am?” I asked myself more than once. I knew I needed to be reasonable. Money was short and a full-time job was a must.

God put a stop to that thinking and set me on a new course. It took months of searching and asking that He show me His will. He did, through His Word and in that quiet voice that belongs only to Him. He opened every door and encouraged me to step through. When I grabbed hold of His plan I clung to it, sometimes by fingertips, but hanging nonetheless.

So dear friends, cling to the Lord, trust in Him not your strengths or your personal desires. He and He alone knows what He’s calling you to do. Go then, and do it.

Grace and Peace to you from God.

Bonnie

No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis