Sunday, August 24, 2008

Quiet Moments With God--Time to Listen.

I think it’s interesting that the title of this blog is Quiet Moments With God and I haven’t yet written a devotional about listening. Maybe that’s because it’s not one of my strengths.

This morning during my quiet time I was reminded of that weakness. In Habbakkuk in the second chapter last verse it says, “But the Lord is in his holy Temple. Let all the earth be silent before him.”

Be silent before him. Simple words, or so it would seem. How often are we truly silent before God? Are we more likely to address our desires, our needs and the needs of others? It’s good to talk with God. But too often we forget to be still and hear what He has to say to us. If we don’t shut our mouths and open our hearts we’ll miss Him.

I encourage you to find a place, any place, but somewhere that’s easily accessible and private, where you can get together, just you and God. Then, go ahead, pour out your heart or pray scripture or worship Him in anyway that suits you and then . . . be still and hear His voice, hear His heart.

He’s always available to us. He’s just waiting for us to make time for Him.

Grace and peace to you from God.

Bonnie

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous5:15 PM

    This blog hits so close to home for me because I don't make time for God. I don't really practice a relationship with Him,and I know when I don't that I start to feel more empty and down. I also don't understand how we can truly hear God's voice or what He is saying to us. How can we know for sure it is His voice and not our own or something else? But it sounds so simple yet seems harder to put into practice. I wish that God could feel more real to me all the time. Maybe if I read His Word, that problem will be solved even though right now it seems like such an obstacle.

    God bless you, Bonnie Leon,for your inspirational blogs and the help you offer. I like knowing that you are human too. :-D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sarah,

    Thank you for sharing in such a transparent way. It takes courage to speak the truth.

    I've heard your question, "How do I know it's God's voice and not my own?" many many times. In fact, I remember asking the question myself. :-)

    I think first off, we need to make certain that what we hear lines up with scripture. It can't be contrary to His Word. So, we need to know what the Bible says or how to find answers to our questions, or talk to someone who does know.

    Also, if what we hear doesn't offer peace, but rather turmoil, that needs to be considered as suspect. However, having said that, sometimes God leads us down paths that are challenging.

    And over time, His voice becomes more distinct. The more often we talk to Him the easier it becomes to recognize Him when He speaks.

    And I love to pray the scriptures. Read and then talk to God about what He's saying and then pray about it. It makes scripture time rich.

    I also encourage new readers to use a Bible that is trustworthy and easy to understand. My recommendation is The New International Version or the New Living Translation.

    Blessings to you, Sarah.

    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete

ShareThis