Sunday, August 10, 2008

Quiet Moments With God--Total Surrender

What must we give up to follow Christ? Everything. When the rich man came to Jesus he was told to give everything he had. He walked away.

Luke 9:57-62 talks about surrender. Jesus says “Come follow me.” Each man who had professed to be a follower had something else they needed to do before they could join Christ in His ministry. Christ says in verse 62 "No one who puts his hand to the plow and looks back is fit for service in the kingdom of God.”

At first glance this seems harsh. Aren’t people and projects important? How about my family? My finances. Time with loved ones, my career, my ministry, my . . . There are too many my’s to list. However, none of “my” needs or desires are as important as seeking after Christ, following Him, and then telling others about Jesus.

I don’t believe Christ is saying we’re supposed to throw away our families and our jobs, but we need to look closely at where our priorities lie. What do we put most of our time into? Is there time for God and His Word? Do we make time to serve?

There are no excuses. We either surrender to Him or we don’t. Wholeness comes in absolute surrender. The world pulls at us and we often go where it leads rather than where Christ leads. How can we be useful to the Lord if the world’s voice is louder than His?

I long to be all His all of the time, but I fail. However, I haven’t given up on myself or Him. And on occasion I close my eyes, block out the world and look at Him only and listen to His voice, and then He speaks with clear, gentle authority. Angst and sorrow fall away. For a time thoughts of self flee. And when I listen with my whole heart and sift out the trivial things in this world then I am truly in His presence. I am His disciple and the joy I feel is long remembered.

And I continue to pray, “Your will Lord, not mine.”

Grace and peace to you from God.

Bonnie

No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis