Friday, August 31, 2012

Relationships -- An Ordinary Evening?



I spent Tuesday and Thursday evenings with my mother. We got together specifically to watch the Republican Convention. I'm very much into politics. I know it's not for everyone, but I'm hooked. My mother isn't passionate it, but she cares about her country and who our leaders are so she tries to stay informed.

Throughout the two evenings, while we listened to guests and speakers we laughed, cried and cheered for them, for hope and for our country. We both voiced a wish to actually be present at the convention, thinking about how amazing that would be.

While we have much in common politically that common bond is not what our time spent together was all about. No--it had everything to do with our mutual love of country, our spirit of hope and a desire to see our country take a fresh breath of life.

When it was time for me to leave. Mom said, "I loved sharing this with you." Her eyes shimmered with tears and the light of promise and love lit her face.

We expected politics and fun, but we were given so much more. Together we were lifted up. We were given hope for a better future. And we were reminded of our shared values. We have a long history together--eighty-seven years. I don't remember the beginning, but my mother does. And to still feel that exceptional bond after all these years is a precious gift.

These two nights will be filed away in my memory bank where they will whisper to me from the past and make me smile. Find something to share with the ones you love. The choice of activity may not seem special, but you never know what you may discover in the ordinary.

Grace and peace to you from God,

Bonnie

1 comment:

  1. Mom told me what a fun time she had with you. I'm so glad you get to do that with her. It means so much to her, to you and to me. I love you.

    ReplyDelete

ShareThis