Monday, February 18, 2013

Quiet Moments With God -- Walking On Water

During our home group meeting a couple of weeks ago, people in the group shared personal experiences of answered prayers. It was heartening to hear how God had been at work in their lives and to be reminded of His touch in our own.

While  driving home that night, Greg and I talked about our history together and how God's presence and intervention had seen us through. He has been with us at every step.

He was there even when we didn't believe. He was there when our eyes were opened. And He was there when our children entered this world, then rescued their lives when they were in peril. He stood with us through all the joys and sorrows, marriages and divorces, births and deaths.

As we looked back through the years, it was clear that God had walked with us, providing comfort and even a miracle now and again. The question arose--With such a history, why do we still doubt?

Jesus asked that very question of one of his disciples. There is an incredible account of great faith in Matthew 14:25-31, which says:
     During the fourth watch of the night Jesus went out to them, walking on the lake. When the disciples saw him walking on the lake, they were terrified. "It's a ghost," they said and cried out in fear. 
      But Jesus immediately said to them: "Take courage! It is I. Don't be afraid." 
     "Lord, it is you," Peter replied, "tell me to come to you on the water."
     "Come," Jesus said.
     Then Peter got down out of the boat, walked on the water and came toward Jesus. But when he saw the wind, he was afraid and, beginning to sink, cried out, "Lord, save me!"
     Immediately Jesus reached out his hand and caught him. "You of little faith," he said, "why did you doubt?"

At first glimpse at this story I see Peter's great faith. He stepped out of the boat!

And then he took his eyes off Jesus and began to sink, became afraid and beseeched Jesus to save him. Jesus reached out to him, but his next words startled me. He asked, "Why did you doubt?"

When I read those words a heavy thump went off in my heart. I can ask myself that same question a thousand times. It isn't enough to remember the presence and the touch of  Jesus in our lives. It isn't enough to celebrate His love, mercy and salvation. Though, those things are good. Walking with Jesus is supposed to be a walk of faith, each moment one of believing . .  . before a miracle is performed or even if it isn't.

How amazing it would be to do more than just step out of the boat, but to actually walk on water . . . every time. I have had my faith-filled moments of water walking, but there have been too many times that I have taken my eyes off Christ and looked at the problems and sank into a churning sea.

Today is my birthday, and I thank the Lord for my life. But the reality is it's not my life--it belongs to Him and I pray for lots more water-walking days.

Grace and peace to you from God,

Bonnie

4 comments:

  1. First, Happy Birthday!

    Next, thank you for reminding me to remember God's faithfulness and stop doubting. I can walk on water IF I keep my eyes on Him. Lately the waves have been so high, it's been hard to see Him...but He's there. He never moves!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous8:27 PM

    Happy Birthday Bonnie. GOD bless you!
    Maxie mac262(at)me(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  3. TC, we need to remind one another. It is not easy to keep Him at the forefront of our thoughts all the time.

    I'm so sorry that you've been living in the midst of a storm. But you are right, He is there. And He will not leave you.

    Bless you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Maxie, thank you for the birthday wishes.

    Bless you.

    ReplyDelete

ShareThis