Thursday, April 16, 2009

America Not a Christian Nation -- You Sure?

I received a letter from my dear friend, Jeannie St. John Taylor. What she says is important. With her permission I'm posting her letter.

Grace & peace to you from God.


Bonnie



© Jeannie St. John Taylor

On a recent trip to Turkey our president announced to the world that the United States of America is not a Christian nation.

I vehemently reject that statement!

Government statistics show that 81 percent of Americans identify themselves with a specific religion and by far the largest number -- a full 76.5 percent – call themselves Christian. The next two faith groups don’t even come close in number; Jews compose 1.3 percent of the population and Muslims 0.5.

How could anyone classify our nation as not-Christian?

I fear that if we let the assertion that the United States is a non-Christian nation stand unchallenged, the lie will eventually become truth. It’s a principle explained by Robert King Merton: "Beliefs or expectations, whether true or not, affect the outcome of a situation or the way a person or group will behave. "

Spoken words and thoughts can become self-fulfilling prophecy. If we allow ourselves to think of the United States as non-Christian, that is precisely what it will become.

Our roots are Christian. The earliest settlers braved dangers at sea and on land for the express purpose of establishing a nation on biblical principles. Later Godly men framed our Constitution on Judeo/Christian values.

Sadly, the number of people who claim Christianity has dropped from 86 percent in 1990 to the current 76.5 per cent. Even so, the vast majority of Americans continue to be ardently Christian.
There is no reason to give up and wring our hands with grief! Will we allow our president’s comment to become a self-fulfilling prophecy?

NEVER! I refuse to relinquish my heritage! I choose to openly and fervently declare that America is still, and will continue to be, a Christian nation!

Together, with God’s help, you and I can reverse our nation’s decline! We must pray for our nation and stand boldly and openly for the Lord together. Will you stand with me? There is strength in numbers. Will you determine to stop this false perception with repentance and prayer? No one else will do it, but you and I can. We are not powerless.

“If my people who are called by my name humble themselves, and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven and forgive their sin and heal their land.” 1 Chron. 7:14."

Together we stand. Together we openly declare: we are a Christian nation.

Signed:
Jeannie St. John Taylor
Author/ Illustrator/ Speaker

No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis