Monday, April 13, 2009

Quiet Moments With God -- Who Carries the Burden?

I have a book launching in two weeks, which means life is busy—too busy. There is always so much to do when a book hits the store shelves. Readers need to be notified, I stop in at book stores to sign copies of my books, plus teach writing workshops and do a little extra speaking. All of this means lots of work—publicity, speech writing, workshops that need polishing and a lot more. Presently, I’m also working toward a deadline on a new book.

I’m not complaining. I love my job. However, I’m getting a bit weary. I’m feeling buried beneath my work load. I’ve been in this place before. Each time I tell myself it won’t happen again. So . . . why is it that I’m here again?

There are lots of answers to that question, but right now looking at them won’t help (that’s for later). I need a plan, or inspiration, or just a cool head before moving forward. I’ve been praying for guidance and support from God. Interestingly this morning when I opened my devotional, my mind was on my “burden”. When my eyes went to the topic of the day I had to giggle. God always knows what I need.

The devotional title was, “What to do when your burden is overwhelming?” I read on, gobbling down Oswald Chambers insights into God’s Word.

His first statement sent a question rambling through my mind. He said, “We must recognize the difference between burdens that are right for us to bear and burdens that are wrong.” This sent me into prayer mode. I know the obvious burdens that are my own doing, and I know some of the one’s placed upon me by God. However, there are some I’m uncertain about. Their origin and matter of importance are about as clear as a foggy winter night. I’m definitely taking these to the Lord and trusting Him to blow away the mist.

The next quandary laid before me came from the following statement, “Cast your burden on the Lord.” I want to do that, but I’m having difficulty accomplishing it. I pray and hand it off to him, but still feel the pressure and stress of my circumstances, which tells me I haven’t really handed it to Him.

I’d love to hear from some of you. What have you discovered about managing or releasing burdens God has not placed in your life? In addition could you share your insights and experiences with us on how you successfully cast Godly burdens onto the Lord’s shoulders, therefore making your tasks less stressful and more fun?

We can be of help to one another. Scripture says we’re to help carry one another’s burdens. I’d love to hear some of your insights and experiences.


Grace and peace to you from God.

Bonnie

6 comments:

  1. Wonderful post, Bonnie. I sometimes lose sight of all He's done for me on this writing journey and get mired in worrying about things I was never meant to handle, such as sales figures and such! Last December, when I rec'd my first galleys, I was so disheartened. They came right before Christmas and required some major changes which meant hours and hours of work. I'm not a quick writer and really labor over edits. But I came across this verse which never really meant anything to me before. Psalm 18:28:29 says, For You light my lamp; the Lord illumines my darkness. For by You I can run upon a troop; and by my God I can leap over a wall.
    The galleys were a troop and a wall to me but by His power and creativity I did deal with them and even meet my deadline at Christmas. I prayed that He would illumine my darkness and show me the things I needed to do something about and which things to let go of and leave to Him. I'm so thankful it worked. Never easy but my book (and I) are better for it. Thank you for sharing from your heart. It really ministers to me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow Laura, thanks so much for your post! Ilove the verses. I'm going to print them up and put them where I can see them.

    Powerful. God's Word gives us just what we need.

    Blessings to you,

    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sarah D.4:17 PM

    Hey! My good burden right now is a paper I'm working on in college. I was up till midnight typing on the computer, but I'm still not quite finished. However, I do enjoy the end result.:-) I just discovered this verse: Psalm 68:19a "Blessed be the Lord, who daily loadeth us with benefits." Right now my circumstances are very good... I'm extremely blessed.

    U know, I believe that the burdens we are not supposed to carry are oftentimes the burdens of sin which we place on ourselves. But God will take even the wrong burdens, if we ask Him sincerely; and He will help us work through those problem areas of our lives if we try. In my case, it seems slow because I keep reverting. I admit, one of my biggest problems at the current time is my mental going ons if you get my drift. :-) My mind is a burden to me because of the sinful going ons of it.... But there is a verse in Isaiah which I keep on my jewelry case, and I use it to remind me that the solution is rather simple: Isaiah 26:3 "Thou wilt keep him in perfect peace, whose mind is stayed on thee: because he trusteth in thee." Refreshing :-)

    Thank you, Bonnie, for letting me know u too struggle in your relationship with Him. It means alot. It doesn't always occur to me that a strong Christian and writer such as yourself is a struggling Christian too:-)

    Sincerely,
    Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  4. So right, Sarah. We do load ourselves down with sin. How wonderful to know God loves us and provided a way so we don't have to carry our sins.

    And Christians are just people who know and love the Lord. We are all sinners saved by grace.

    He is so good.

    Bonnie

    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really like the thought of examining which burdens I am supposed to carry vs. those that are slowing me down. As you know, this is a good time in my life to figure out the difference!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Christina,

    I'm praying God will give you His eyes and heart to know.

    Love you,

    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete

ShareThis