Monday, April 06, 2009

Quiet Moments With God -- House Training

I have a new puppy name Maggie. I’m not so sure getting a puppy was a good idea, but she is sooo cute and sweet. She also loves to chew on anything and everything. She whines sometimes during the middle of the night, doesn’t come when she’s called, and potties anywhere she happens to be when the urge strikes her. And she’s perfectly content to remain just as she is.

While working to shape this young pup into a sociable house pet I’ve been reminded that training can be difficult and learning to be obedient does not necessarily come naturally. Sometimes I'm frustrated with my new pup. Mostly because she doesn’t want to learn or simply doesn’t understand the concepts I’m trying to teach her. I figured she’d get “it” by now. After all, I’ve been consistent, clear in my instructions and I’ve continued to lavish her with love.

It dawned on me—I’m not so different from Maggie. I don’t always listen and I can be stubborn. Yet, God patiently teaches and guides, and gently walks me through the process of learning again and again. Even though I sometimes do exactly the opposite of what He wants me to do, He loves me anyway.

When I realized the similarities I immediately asked God to forgive me for my obstinance and my inability to maintain focus. Like Maggie I want things my own way and often push through to achieve my own goals. How blessed I am to have a Lord who is patient and merciful. He doesn’t give up on me.

I’m certain that eventually Maggie will understand household rules, and she’ll do well. That doesn’t mean she’ll be a “perfect” dog. There is no such thing. And, though she's imperfect, I’m confident our relationship will grow and we’ll become buddies. I’ll love her, even when she makes mistakes. But she'll love me better. One of the most beautiful things about dogs is they love unconditionally. Perhaps I have a thing or two to learn from Maggie.

God uses all kinds of tools to teach, if we'll only listen and learn.

Grace and peace to you from God.

Bonnie

2 comments:

  1. Sarah D.10:18 PM

    I love this example! I happen to have three ten month old keeshond "puppies" (they still r to me :-)) at mine and my family's house, and we all know too well how difficult and frustrating it can be to have these rascals. But mine of the three, who I have named Lily Irene is the cutest little monster full of spunk; and I love her. I had never thought before that we r like puppies, but your r right, and we r. :-) Thank you for the great illustration.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Sarah.

    Ilove Keeshonds! My father had one many years ago. She was beautiful and a wonderful companion. Wouldn't mind having one myself.

    Thanks so much for stopping in and sharing.

    Have a blessed day,

    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete

ShareThis