Monday, April 26, 2010

Quiet Moments With God -- Be Kind

Sometimes it feels as if our world has completely forgotten what it means to be kind. I know there are many kind souls out there, but some days it feels like the majority of humans are focused only on self--their comfort, their needs, their desires. And others . . . well their pain and their troubles are of no concern to us. Why waste time being thoughtful or helpful?

I think our awareness of charity begins in childhood. When I was young being cruel wasn't tolerated and if I was caught tormenting anything or anyone my parents made certain I paid a price--often that meant a sore behind or at the very least an apology offered to the one I'd purposely hurt. My parents were also a living example of what it meant to live graciously. Their moral message stayed with me. I live kindly, as best as I can. I'm human so failure is a certainty.

If you weren't raised with the kind of example I was blessed to have, there is still no excuse for intentional cruelty, not if you're a believer. God has adamantly answered this issue. In His Word He states clearly how we are to treat one another. Ephesians 4:31-32 says, "Get rid of all bitterness, rage, anger, harsh words, and slander, as well as all types of evil behavior. Instead be kind to each other tenderhearted, forgiving one another, just as God through Christ has forgiven you." And Christ is our example.

I don't see that we have any excuse that justifies cruelty. I've witnessed rage, anger and harsh words hurled from one Christian to another. And it's usually over an inconsequential issue. This kind of behavior must grieve our Father.

I want to say, "How dare we injure one another this way? Do we take God's Word so lightly? Have we forgotten that Christ lives in us? Matthew 25:40 says, "I tell you the truth, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of mine, you did for me." How about to Him?

I know we're imperfect beings. We lose our tempers and react in ways that dishonor God and hurt others. When we fall, as we surely will, we need to seek God's forgiveness and then the forgiveness of the one we've treated badly. I believe in clean slates; it makes life much sweeter. How good it is to know that God's mercies are new every morning.


Grace and peace to you from God.

Bonnie

No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis